Sunday 25 May 2008

Solo. Before and After.

22.05.2008
"Mudanzas"
solo improvisation evening by Malgorzata Haduch
Teatro Orfeon
Tacna, Peru

dance: Malgorzata Haduch
music: Lorezno Brusci, Andy Moor
light: Arturo Carazas

In this performance, the starting point for the dance improvisation, was the abandoned space of Cafe Divas on the 2nd floor of Teatro Orfeon in Tacna. Themes as empty, abandoned and re-arranged were the impulses to move and improvise.
The audience was really large- around 70 people came and were arriving till an hour later, when we already had a post-talk. I heard, that it was due to the free entrance. Probably if they would have to buy a ticket even for 1 Sol, there would have come half of the public.
Before the performance, I felt too much pressure on my shoulders. The responsibility to represent " all" contemporary dance of Europe, as it was announced in the radio, was too much. Ah, Latinos like to exaggerate, but still, Tacna has never seen a contemporary dance performance before. (Important reminder: Tacna is a dynamic developing city of 300,000 inhabitants-not a pueblito in the mountains)
After the show, the public was eagerly sharing their impressions. Many complements and congratulations... The most touching comment, I heard from one of my students, who got very emotional by seeing something for the first time in his life, something what he always wanted to see but didn't have access to.
Of course, I was happy to bring such an unforgettable experience for the Tacneños. However, I am pretty critical to myself and I feel, this show could have been better. One more time I reflect on instant composition in site-specific places and how to sink deeper in emotional and physical states while improvising...

No comments: